What's that you say? Perl 6 hasn't been released yet?
Well, of course, you're right. Perl creator Larry Wall has been telling people at just about every Perl conference over the last couple of years that Perl 6 will be out "by Christmas". Of course, he never told us which Christmas!
However, some folks just aren't prepared to wait for an official release and want to start playing with Perl 6 straight away. If you're among them, you can access a preview release of Perl 6 called Rakudo Star.
And if you're cutting edge enough to playing with Perl 6 already, why not enter the Perl 6 Coding Contest? There are five tasks to complete:
- Find a way to express an integer as an expression containing four 9s
- List numbers which are sums of cubes in more ways than one
- Calculate addition chains
- Slide a hex-shaped piece across a board
- List all possible trees of a certain type
You'll be judged on the clarity, consistency, brevity and efficiency of your code. If you fancy your chances, find out more at the Strangely Consistent Perl 6 blog.
Image © Larry Wall - used with permission